What are mouth guards?
Here at Brunswick Family Dental, we specialise in making custom-fitted sports mouth guards. These mouth guards protect your teeth and significantly reduce the risk of painful and expensive damage from injuries around the mouth. In our experience, one of the most common causes of dental injury is sporting accidents. Thankfully, this damage can often be easily prevented by wearing the right mouth guard.
How are mouth guards custom-fit for my mouth?
Thankfully, the process to have a mouth guard custom-fit to your mouth is simple and painless. We've gone above and beyond to make the process as efficient and stress-free as possible. A major reason for this is that our mouth guards are regularly sought out by parents for their young children and teenagers who regularly participate in sports. Our dental hygienists/child therapists will be on standby to ensure that the process goes smoothly.
It usually takes two short visits to our practice in Brunswick for your mouth guard to be custom-fit for your mouth. During the first appointment, one of our dentists will take a mould of your teeth, which they'll use to shape your mouth guard. Your second appointment is when you'll actually try on the mouth guard. Your dentist will ensure that it fits properly and that you don't experience any soreness. During this appointment, you're encouraged to give feedback and inform your dentist if you're feeling any discomfort with the mouth guard.
Once you're received your custom mouth guard, it's important to take the proper steps to care for it. Maintaining your mouth guard is essential for keeping up with your oral hygiene and getting the most use out of the mouth guard. Perhaps the most basic rule of mouth guard maintenance is to rinse it with cold water after every use.
Why do people wear mouth guards?
A professionally fitted mouth guard offers protection against a wide variety of injuries. Going without could leave your teeth, gums, tongue, lips, and even your brain vulnerable to serious damage. With all these benefits, it's no wonder that more and more people are wearing mouth guards.
done_all KEY BENEFITS TO Mouth Guards MAY INCLUDE:
- Custom-Fit: Properly fitted mouth guards are far more effective than any one-size-fits-all mouth guards on the market. They ensure that your mouth, teeth, and jaw are protected from a wide range of sports-related and head-related injuries.
- Protect Braces: For those who wear braces and play contact sports, mouth guards are an absolute must. They're highly effective at protecting your orthodontics from sustaining damage. Further, they also protect your teeth from being damaged by your orthodontics if you receive a blow to the face.
- Absorb Impact: A major benefit of wearing mouth guards is that they absorb some of the force when something impacts your face, whether it be a fist, an elbow, or a basketball. This protects your teeth from getting chipped, broken, or knocked out.
- Shield Soft Tissue: Mouth guards are designed to protect your teeth and your soft tissue FROM your teeth. With your teeth fitted into a mouth guard, you don't have to worry about them accidentally biting down on your gums, inner cheeks, lips, or tongue.
- Affordable: Our mouth guards are a wise investment, especially for those who participate in sports or other athletic activities. The initial cost of a mouth guard is quite minimal compared to the potential cost of repairing major dental injuries.
How long does it take to get a mouth guard?
As stated above, getting a custom-fit mouth guard is a relatively short process. At Brunswick Family Dental, we ask that you come to our practice for just two quick appointments. The total amount of time for both visits is no more than a few hours. We'll ensure that the entire process is as efficient, comfortable, and stress-free as possible.
We do strongly recommend purchasing custom-fit mouth guards over stock mouth guards. Though they're cheap and convenient, stock mouth guards simply don't provide the level of protection your teeth, soft tissue, and brain need. Therefore it is important to have one made specifically for you.