What are crowns and bridges?
Crowns and bridges are prosthetic devices used by dentists to replace or restore your teeth. Crowns are primarily meant to reinforce and stabilise a tooth that's been damaged or fractured. By completely covering or capping your damaged tooth, crowns can effectively prevent further decay. Bridges are larger prosthetics used to replace multiple missing teeth or gaps in your smile. They typically consist of at least three or more crowns attached together as one unit.
Though they're great for protecting damaged teeth and filling in gaps, many people seek out crowns and bridges exclusively for the aesthetic improvement of their smile. They're engineered using high-quality materials and coloured to match your existing teeth. This will ensure that the prosthetic blends well and appears very natural. By expertly applying these impressive prosthetics, we hope to give people brighter, whiter, and healthier smiles that boost their confidence!
If you're unsure whether you're in need of a crown or bridge prosthetic, our team of professionals would be happy to help. We can answer your questions and advise you on which treatment is best suited to your needs.
What's involved in the treatment?
For a crown, you'll have to come to our practice for a few visits. The first visit is so your dentist can properly examine your tooth and ensure that placing a crown is the appropriate course of action. If not, they may need to suggest an alternate solution. During this visit, they'll also file down the tooth so that it can properly support a crown. They'll then take an impression of the tooth to construct a permanent crown for your next appointment. Don't worry about walking around with a filed down tooth. We'll provide you with a temporary crown to wear before your second visit. The second visit is when the temporary crown is removed, and the permanent one is applied using a safe adhesive.
Neither treatment takes terribly long. Filing your tooth down and taking an impression of it during the first visit takes about 60 to 90 minutes. You'll then have to wait a week or two while the permanent crown is being made. The actual placement of the crown during your second appointment only takes about 30 minutes.
When receiving a dental bridge, you can expect to spend about 90 minutes at each appointment or three hours total. For both procedures, your dentist will first make sure that the fit and colour of the permanent crown/bridge are appropriate. Here at Brunswick Family Dental, we take great care to ensure that you're happy and confident with your dental prosthetics. You can count on us to provide you with fantastic results.
The benefits of crowns and bridges
Crowns and bridges are a uniquely impressive prosthetic, as they simultaneously improve the appearance of your teeth and strengthen them. Here are just a few of the many benefits of receiving crowns and bridges from a dental professional:
done_all KEY BENEFITS TO Crowns & Bridges MAY INCLUDE:
- Improved Function: Having damaged or missing teeth can reduce the overall function of your teeth, especially when it comes to chewing. Unfortunately, many of the foods that can become difficult to chew or bite are essential aspects of a healthy human diet, like fruits and vegetables. Crowns and bridges make it much easier to chew properly, allowing you to fully enjoy your meals and prevent nutritional deficiencies from avoiding certain foods.
- Strengthens Teeth: As stated above, crowns and bridges don't just offer an aesthetic improvement. Crowns, in particular, are effective solutions for protecting teeth that have been damaged by cracks, trauma, root canals, ageing, and more. They're a great way to prevent the affected tooth from enduring more damage and decay.
- Confidence: If you'd like to transform your smile without committing to full veneers, you'll love crowns and bridges. We know that even minor issues, like gaps or chipped teeth, can make people feel self-conscious. That's why we're passionate about giving people the power to change the colour, length, and shape of their teeth using these quality prosthetics. We believe that everyone deserves to smile with confidence.
- Pain Relief: Teeth that are fractured or damaged in some way can cause a great deal of pain and sensitivity. This can make it difficult to sleep and painful to drink or eat certain things. Thankfully, having a crown cap or cover your damaged tooth will relieve the pain significantly.
- Long-Term Results: Unlike dentures that have to be taken out regularly, crowns and bridges are fixed devices. They're built to last anywhere between 5-10 years, depending on how well you take care of them.
How can I book an appointment?
As one of the largest practices in the inner northern suburbs of Melbourne, you can count on Brunswick Family Dental Surgery for all your dental needs. Our friendly team, which includes eight dentists and four oral hygienists/child therapists, have the training and experience necessary to give you consistently amazing results.
Since our founding in 1999, we've proven that we deliver efficient and precise services, including the placement of crowns and bridges. We're dedicated to creating the absolute best experience possible for you and your family.